So you've listed your home and some time has passed. Now thoughts start creeping into your head, why is my home not selling? The longer your home sits on the market; buyers may ask what’s wrong with that home?
Here are 6 reasons why your home has not sold, yet:
- Priced too high in general. Most of the time when a home is not selling, it all comes down to the price. If you've overpriced your home, buyers may not consider your home an option. Most buyers start their home search on the Internet and if you've overpriced your home, your home may not show up in the results of their search – losing opportunities like this can be devastating! If your home is not showing up in search results, you’re limiting your pool of potential buyers and keeping your house on the market longer than it needs to be.
- Priced too high for your neighborhood. Yes, your house is amazing and you've probably done tons of work to stand out in your neighborhood. Unfortunately, that could be working against you. Make sure to not price your home based on what you feel its worth, but based on the market and surrounding neighborhood is telling you it is worth. If you can get your price a little closer to the surrounding area, it may draw more buyers in. Need help? Find out what your home is worth on our site today!
- Too Much Clutter. It’s inevitable that you have to live in your home while trying to sell, however a buyer does not want to see all of your stuff! Buyers want to envision living in your home. If you have a mess in your home, you’re pushing away potential buyers causing your home to stay on the market for far too long. Buyers are about to make a huge investment, de-clutter and put away personal memorabilia to make it easy for a buyers to see themselves living in the home. If you need help getting your home ready for the market, contact an Expert Real Estate Team member today!
- Needs an Upgrade or Needs to be Toned Down. You’ve been in your home for years now and sure, it’s worked well for you but maybe you need to consider upgrading that outdated shag carpet or dated wallpaper. It may not have bothered you but potential buyers may be put off by the thought of how much it would cost to upgrade these items in a home. If you’re interested in selling quickly, you should consider changing the overall look of your home into something more buyer-friendly. Don’t have much money to make improvements? Paint is pretty cheap and will do wonders for selling your home. The least expensive home improvements that will carry the biggest bang for your buck are painting and new carpet. Make sure you choose neutral colors for both and keep in mind, when selecting these things it is not about what you like but what will have universal appeal to the most buyers. If you have more money to spend, consider updating your kitchen or bathroom. These upgrades can go a long way when attracting potential buyers.
- An Unfavorable Market. The real estate market can be up and down and unfortunately when the market is against you there is not much you can do. Your options are to lower your price to be competitive or wait until the market improves.
- You Didn't Think The Realtor Was Important. For most people, your home is the largest asset you own. Homeowners should take pride in finding the right person to represent you on such an important transaction. Finding the right Realtor can be more difficult than you think. Take the time to interview agents and look at their client reviews and sales history. Remember, we said the number one reason a home doesn't sell is price. If you choose a Realtor that sets the wrong price, you’re in for a long and stressful journey!
Finally, Seek Help.
If you’re having trouble selling your home, you may need to schedule time to talk with a Realtor to discuss what may be the problem. If you’re currently listed with a Realtor, they should be able to advise you on what is needed to sell your home – even if it is not what you want to hear. It’s a good idea to seek advice from an expert but more importantly you must apply what you've learned. After doing so, you should be able to sell your home in a timely manner.
We are always here to help! If you're interested in selling your home or property with us, contact the Expert Real Estate Team today at (864) 895-9791.