The City Of Anderson In Upstate South Carolina
The City of Anderson is located in the northwest corner of the state of South Carolina on the Piedmont Plateau. The City is ideally located on the busy Interstate 85 corridor, to which much of its economic growth can be attributed.
The City Of Anderson was named for General Robert Anderson, a Revolutionary War hero. He came to South Carolina to help his good friend, Andrew Pickens, in surveying some land that had been given to the English Colony by the Indians. The City was founded in December 1826 and incorporated by an act of Legislature, December 19, 1833.
Anderson was the first city in the south to have an unlimited supply of electric power. Anderson is the smallest of the three sister cities being Greenville, Spartanburg making up the Upstate region, and is nicknamed the “Electric City” and the “Friendliest City in South Carolina”. Anderson is the home of Anderson University, a selective private comprehensive university of roughly 3,900 undergraduate and graduate students.